By ELAINE ZHOU
Classic Banana and Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
Start your morning off with a nice breakfast. Turn up the song Banana Pancakes By Jack Johnson while you wait for your pancakes to cook.
1 ½ cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ¼ cups milk
2 bananas mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinammon in large bowl. Stir in milk, banana, egg, and vanilla. Add in chocolate chips.
2. Turn on stove heat to medium heat. Place pan, greased on stove. Pour ¼ cup of batter in pan. Cook one side until bubbles appear at the top. Flip pancake and cook until golden. Repeat for the remaining batter.
3. Add more chocolate chips after if desired and enjoy!
After watching To All The Boys 2, there were two things I could not forget: Lara Jean’s unsettling lip syncing and her strawberry turnovers. The latter was something I wanted to bake ever since the movie release in February, but I never got the chance. Quarantine was the perfect time to try it, and I recommend it 100%.
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold cubes
3 cups strawberries, chopped
⅓ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered confectioners sugar
1. Pulse flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in food processor. Add butter and mix until small bits of dough appear. Pour in ¼ cup water and pulse again. Remove dough and roll into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and referigerate for one hour.
2. Place strawberries in medium sauce pan with sugar and salt over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes and stir constantly. Bring mixture to simmer and cook for 5 more minutes. Spoon 2 tablespoons mixture juie into small bowl and stir constarch in. Place liquid back into pan and continue to simmer, stirring continuously. Remove from heat after 8 minutes or when mixture becomes thick. Stir in lemon juice and cool.
3. Preheat oven to 375℉. Roll out dough disks until ⅛ inch thick. Cut out rectangles from dough and place 1 ½ tablespoons of strawberries into center of rectangle. With remaing rectangles, place on top of pastry and cut a few slits at the top. Fork down edges.
4. Whisk egg and water to make egg wash. Brush pastry with egg wash. Bake pasty for 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool turnovers. Mix milk, vanilla extract, and powdered confectioners sugar for glaze. Drizzle turnovers with glaze and enjoy.
5. Treat yourself to some amazing desserts during these unprecedented times. You should be proud of yourself for pushing through all of the stress that quarantine has put you through.
Gordon Ramsay Caramelized Apple Pie
As I was scrolling through Tik Tok, Gordon Ramsay – the Master Chef himself – was right there on my for you page, dancing to a Yung Gravy song. I immediately felt the instinct to call upon 10 years of experience watching MasterChef, and bake something in honor of Gordon Ramsay. Naturally, my mind immediately went to searching up Ramsay’s apple pie – because who doesn’t love a good pie? – and it was a good pie.
1 stick softened unsalted butter
7 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup of sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of freshly grated nutmeg
4 large apples
½ stick unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
1.Combine butter and sugar in food processor. Add egg and flour until dough comes together. Knead dough on floured surface. Cover dough with plastic wrap and referigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Mix sugar, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg in small bowl. Peel and cut apples into large chunks. Combine spice mixture and apples. Turn on high heat for a wide frying pan and melt half of the butter. Place half of apples in pan and caramelize for 5 minutes or until golden around edges. Repeat for the other half of apples
3. Preheat oven to 375℉. Split dough into two halves. Roll out one half to ⅛ inch thickness. Take a pie pan and cut rolled out dough to be slightly larger than pan. Line pan with dough and cut off excess. Roll out other half the same way for top crust.
4. Place apples into pie shell. Drape top dough and brush the top with egg wash. Cut small slits in the center of top.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let it cool and serve.
Espresso Chocolate Chunk Brownies
If you find yourself up at 3 A.M. studying for APs (unlikely) or binge-watching that Netflix show you said you would stop watching 2 seasons ago, these sweet coffee treats will give you that sugar-rush plus that extra caffeine boost. You’ll have to spare some of those coffee grounds from your Dalgona Coffee fix for this baked good, but it will be worth it.
1 cup salted butter, melted
2 cups granulated sugar
⅓ cup espresso powder
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
⅓ cup chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Cream butter and sugar. Add espresso powder and eggs. Combine with flour and cocoal powder. Add pinch of salt and ⅓ chocolate chunks.
2. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Transfer brownie mix to pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool and serve.
Mug Chocolate Cake
Still not motivated? Try the simplest of all desserts but equally delicious.
3 tabelspoons all-purpose flour
3 tabelespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons milk
Splash of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Put flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and dash of salt in microwave safe mug. Mix well with fork. Add milk, oil, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Cool for 3 minutes and enjoy.