Physics Field Trip Cancelled Due to Coronavirus Warning; All March Field Trips Cancelled

Caitlyn Kim, Staff Writer 

The annual physics field trip to Knott’s Berry Farm was abruptly cancelled yesterday morning due to Governor Gavin Newsom’s calling for all large gatherings to be cancelled in precaution of the coronavirus COVID-19.
Mr. Tim Smay, one of the physics teachers at Uni said that he was notified of the cancelled trip moments before boarding the bus.
“As I was walking to check in with the bus driver…Dr. Astor texted me and said, ‘You can’t go, call me’, so I called him,” Smay said. “I was bummed because there were 150 students sitting there waiting to get on the bus and I had to tell them all that they couldn’t go”.
There are no plans to reschedule this event, and the administration is currently working on refunding students. According to Smay, refunds will likely be made by April.
Students, such as junior Michael Chen, were understanding towards the safety precautions being taken, but question the validity of the dangers.
“I agree that it’s safe to take precautions, but I just feel like it’s a result of this continuing fear of the coronavirus that the news and media is perpetuating.” Chen said.
Several other field trips for the month of March have also been cancelled, including the Math Club trip to the OCC Meet, the AP Art History trip to the Norton Simon, the Drama trip to Fullerton College’s High School Festival, the Studio Art trip to Broad Museum, and the Canta Bella trip to Laguna Niguel Festival.
Students will be refunded for these trips as well by April, according to the administration.
The administration will reconsider at the end of March whether or not to cancel field trips occurring during the month of April as well, depending on the state of the coronavirus outbreak.