AP Spanish Literature and Culture

Luke Curtis, Section Editor

AP Spanish Literature and Culture: El medio para saber más del mundo cambiante (The means for knowing more of the changing world)

Events are often communicated in newspapers, displaying headlines concerning world events or domestic happenings. In order to be able to know more about the current events taking place in the Spanish world (or any Spanish speaking place for that matter), AP Spanish Literature is the class that answers the call. Spanish students will be instructed by Señor Chris Esposito, who teaches with a unique fervor in the Spanish department. AP Spanish Language requires students to have gotten a C or higher in Spanish 4 or AP Spanish Language, while also having attained an A in Spanish 3. AP Spanish Language is almost like a mini history class, with students being able to explore texts from eras spanning the Medieval, Golden Age, Enlightenment, and 19th century and 20th centuries, respectively. Texts, short stories, poetry, and novels will be used to create discussions and encourage students to take on perspectives from historic, political, and social standpoints. Essays will be written in class in order to demonstrate their knowledge of both the written Spanish language and the texts themselves. AP Spanish Literature can be taken concurrently with AP Spanish Language, or taken after students have completed the AP Spanish Language course. When paired with a credit from AP Spanish Language (getting a 3-5 on the AP exam), the two courses are credited as one year of college foreign language credits. AP Spanish Literature can be studied in a number of different ways. Using web applications such as Duolingo and Notes in Spanish (as in AP Spanish Language) can help students be able to attain new vocabulary and maintain their Spanish comprehension in order to follow along with stories and text meaning. Reading Spanish news sources online, such as Telemundo, CNN en Español, El País, and BBC Mundo can also boost students’ understanding through complex stories that often detail exclusive happenings in the hispanic world. If you need to know more about AP Spanish Literature, contact Señor Esposito for more information.