Boys Basketball Beats Segerstrom in Season Opener

Senior+Captain+Joseph+Purser+getting+a+rebound.+

Karolyn Maeda

Senior Captain Joseph Purser getting a rebound.

Alexandra Suttner, Staff Writer

Boys Basketball won its first preseason game by 33 points against Segerstrom, ending the home game with a final score of 61-28 on Nov. 16.

The team is in a strong position for this upcoming season. The team’s performance in the game is attributed to its dedication and hard work. 

“It was such a pleasure to watch the team perform the way they did. They have put in a lot of hard work and it is always neat as a coach to see that hard work come to fruition,” Coach Beau Budde said. 

Coach Budde continued by stressing the team’s defensive mindset and its goal to continue with this mindset in the future. 

“This team is built on a defensive mentality that requires all players to be engaged and communicate on every possession. If we can sustain that mentality throughout the season, it is going to be very tough to compete with us on a consistent basis.”

Senior forward Jad Hajj-Shehadeh led the team with 24 points. 

“The team has been working hard every day in practice learning various sets that our coach presented us with,” Hajj-Shehadeh said.  “In the game, we were able to execute what we’ve learned while bringing intensity throughout the entirety of the game, regardless of the score.” 

The Trojans started the game strong, ending the first half up by 19 points. The team continued carrying the momentum until the final minutes of the game. 

“Winning our first game was a good start for our confidence as a team moving forward and I’m looking forward to seeing how we play this season,” senior Captain Joseph Purser said.

The team’s spirit and intensity was a noticeable strength that collectively led to the victory. 

“It was good to start off strong and play with great teamwork while executing our coach’s plan,” sophomore Christian DeBarge said.  “If we continue to play with the same intensity and spirit, the sky’s the limit.” 

The team’s players all have their own individual skills to contribute that will hopefully lead to a successful season. 

“I see a lot of potential in this group of players, more so than any other year,” Coach Budde said.  “I am very excited to continue this journey with these fine young men and see where we end up at the end.” 

The team’s second preseason game is away against Sage Hill at 6:00pm on Friday, Nov. 19th.