Boys Lacrosse Defeats Irvine

Timi Fang

Boys Lacrosse vs. Irvine

Alexandra Suttner, Staff Writer

Boys Lacrosse defeated Irvine with a final score of 18-7 on Mar. 14. This was the team’s first league win after losing two straight games, resulting in a 1-2 league record. 

“This past game against Irvine was a great game for the team, ultimately starting out slow but picking up an exponential lead,” sophomore captain Koa Saito said. “Once we started scoring we couldn’t be stopped, the team just kept clicking no matter what was thrown at us.” 

By the end of the first half, the team had already scored 14 goals. Although they led by eight goals, Irvine’s physicality and size were a challenge for the team. However, the team quickly adapted to their opposition’s playing style and shut down their offense. 

In the final minute of the match, the team scored four consecutive goals, all of which were assisted by Saito, resulting in an 11 point lead.  

The team’s win was attributed to their bond and support of one another. Through much preparation, the team successfully gained a key victory. Their confidence while receiving Saito’s faceoffs and ground balls led to the offense’s success throughout the match. 

“Our sophomore captain, Koa Saito, played a key role in our victory,” senior captain Connor Carlson said.  “He was our starting faceoff man and he was essential for winning the face[-off] and allowing the offense to gain possession.” 

The players are looking forward to being a part of the program’s promising future. In the past year, the program hired new coaches who led the team last season to their first CIF playoff match. This season, the team hopes to continue the upward trend and win their division’s CIF championship. 

“As a team, we are definitely looking into making a far run into CIF and showing that we are different from the team we have been the years before,” sophomore Garrit Roghair said.

The team looks to continue their momentum in their next game on Mar. 28 against Orange Lutheran.