Girls Lacrosse defeats Northwood 17-5

Ellie Hanssler, Staff Writer 

Girls Lacrosse 1 Edit
Sophomore Mya Wang has been vital for the team’s offence with an average of 6 goals per game.

Girls Lacrosse defeated Northwood High School in their game this past Monday, winning with a final score of 17-5. This was the teams fifth consecutive win against Northwood, having beaten the team in every game since 2015.
“The game against Northwood went amazing for us. We really came together as a team and focused on the little skills we needed that allowed us to outplay Northwood all across the field,” senior Kaylor Chott said.
Early on in the game, University struggled to gain a lead over Northwood, but with the help of sophomore Mya Wang and juniors Mackenzie Kaufman and Grace Colunga, the team was able to hold a comfortable lead by halftime. Senior Gracelyn Caceros was able to support the team on defense, preventing Northwood from scoring four separate times.
“Even though our team was up by a large amount, we continued to play at out best. We worked as a team and not as a group of individuals, which is something that really sets us apart from a lot other teams,” sophomore Zenya Hsu said.  
Senior Talia Abunimeh attributes the team’s victory to their continued hard work during practice.
“Although we did have a rough beginning we did a great job communicating with each other and I think that is a major factor playing into our win,” Abunimeh said. “Especially on defense, communicating with each other about our locations and who is supporting who is something we have really been working on at practice, and I think it really showed during the game.”
Thus far in the season, Girls Lacrosse has maintained an overall record of 3-3, and hopes to come close to last years overall score of 13-3.
“I think we are doing a good job all around the field, but still need to work on cleaning up our stick skills before we can take an opponent like Beckman,” senior Alex Allan said.
Girls Lacrosse’s next game will take place next Monday, March 25, at 4:30 against Irvine High School.