Girls Basketball Falls to Woodbridge

Andrew Ke, Staff Writer

Girls Basketball lost 55-44 against Woodbridge on April 13, their second consecutive loss in the season. The loss dropped the team’s record to 0-2, while Woodbridge remained undefeated, ranking first in the league. 

Despite a close first half and being down only 4 at halftime, the team allowed Woodbridge to start the second half on a 14-3 run, and the deficit proved to be insurmountable.

“Woodbridge came out more aggressive out of the half…Uni battled back, but it was tough to close that gap,” Coach Fidel Vargas said.

Offensively, Vargas believes the team excelled when they were aggressive and shooting near the rim.

“We were at our best when the team was attacking the basket and putting pressure on the defense,” Vargas said. 

Sophomore Sarang Min agreed with Vargas that attacking the basket was a positive for the team.

“We did well…staying in the game, continuing to be aggressive on offense,” Min said.

Senior Samantha Skurnick led the team in scoring with 18 points.

“Although we were losing, I still held on and focused on keeping the score closer together instead of giving out. I knew I had to step up when we most needed it,” Skurnick said.

The team’s game plan was to limit turnovers offensively, but their execution was only moderately successful.

“Our game plan was to take care of the ball and to be aggressive on the court. On offense and defense…we had good moments. We just need to stay consistent and take no plays off,” Vargas said.

Junior Caitlin Hane attributed the team’s early-season struggles to their lack of chemistry.

“We all have to come together more as a family instead of individuals. Due to the lack of preseason this year, our team dynamic is a little lacking, but we’ve been trying to work on it as much as possible,” Hane said.

Min also believes that playing more cohesively could lead to increased success in the future.

“Our team can improve by strengthening our communication on the court with each other, and also by coordinating our defense,” Min said.

Skurnick felt that the team could improve in their mentality for their upcoming contests.

“The way the team and I could improve is to push ourselves more, keep our heads up, trust each other, and work on our ball handling,” Skurnick said.

The team will have to bounce back quickly from this loss, as the team still has eight more games left in the season.

“We’ll review the game film and get that work in practice,” Vargas said.

The team’s next game is on April 23 versus Beckman.