Featuring the 2021–2022 Clubs of the Year

What are the 2021-2022 Clubs of the Year up to this year?

Sabrina Bahrun

Anya Behrns, Staff Writer

With over a hundred registered clubs, UHS’ campus is bustling with interest groups, sports teams, academic leagues and more. To recognize the clubs that had the greatest impact on their members and the student body as a whole, ASB distributes the Club of the Year awards to those who have made large strides for their community throughout the school year. 

Under the 2021–2022 Clubs Commissioner, clubs were given Club of the Year titles recognizing their accomplishments in academics, arts and culture and community service. Though a title recognizes these clubs with a physical form of merit, it does not highlight the full scope of their accomplishments. To better understand the recognized clubs, we spoke with their 2022–2023 boards to discern what makes their clubs so special.

Birding Club (New Club of the Year)

Formed during the 2021–2022 school year, the Birding Club was granted the 2021–2022 New Club of the Year Award. The Birding Club is an interest club for birdwatching, wildlife photography and ornithology. Junior Charles Tian, the club president, cited the hobby’s niche as why the club has stood out. 

“Many people argue that ornithology is insignificant because it is so obscure and birds are just another boring animal in the world, but that is exactly why we need a Birding Club,” Tian said. “Once you start exploring the world of ornithology, you start to realize how important birds are and how significantly they impact our world.” 

To continue their excellence into the 2022–2023 school year, the club has made an effort to give students more hands-on opportunities in ornithology, including monthly field trips to birding spots such as the San Joaquin Marsh and Bolsa Chica Nature Reserve.

Persian Culture Club (Art/Culture Club of the Year)

The Persian Culture Club aims to share the history and culture of Iran with UHS students through food, cultural celebrations and community service. To quote junior Melanie Taba, the club’s co-president, it is “the most cultured club” on campus.

Last year, their most successful event was a celebration of Nowruz, the equivalent of the Persian New Year, with plans to continue similar celebrations into the 2022–2023 school year. The club also offers community service opportunities through the International Society for Children with Cancer, such as sending cards to children for Yalda, the Winter Solstice. 

“We try to make learning opportunities fun and engaging,” Taba said. “But what’s most important is putting our traditions and rich culture on display.” 

Youth Action Team (Community Service Club of the Year)

To connect students with volunteer opportunities and wellness projects, the Youth Action Team is a district-wide organization with over 900 members. Not only do students get service hours and the ability to better their community, but YAT co-president and senior June Su believes it is an opportunity to be part of something bigger and have their voice heard. 

“Students have the opportunity to meet like-minded people through projects and/or community-building events like Teen Summit and YATsgiving,” Su said. “It connects students to the city and the school.”

For the 2022–2023 school year, the club has worked to engage with volunteers and events in a more organized manner and at a larger scale than before. Its growing presence on campus means projects will have more impact and a greater range of what YAT can provide for its members.

Ethics Bowl (Academic Club of the Year)

UHS’ Ethics Bowl is a place for students to openly voice their beliefs about ethical dilemmas and social topics important to them, while simultaneously preparing for the National High School Ethics Bowl Competition and the Ethics Bowl Case Writing Competition. Although the Ethics Bowl is notable for its success at the 2022 Ethics Bowl Nationals, co-president and senior Grace Wang claims its academic success is second to its social setting.

“Ethics Bowl brings a unique angle of ethics and philosophy to current issues that [are] often missing in discussions,” Wang said. “Beyond all that, it’s the community and culture we’ve formed as a club that makes me the proudest. Despite the focus on competition, the club has maintained a deeply collaborative atmosphere that makes tournaments surprisingly relaxing and fun despite the pressure.” 

Making an effort to accept more young students, the club has continued to prepare for the upcoming Ethics Bowl, hoping to continue its streak of winning regionals and continuing to nationals.

Additional Club Winners

Though unable to provide a statement, Uni Theatre Arts was given the Interest Club of the Year Award and Model United Nations was given the Club of the Year Award.

Despite club boards being restructured coming into the new school year, these clubs have continued their effort in upholding their excellence. To contribute to UHS’ club community, spring club registration has recently opened and students are encouraged to sign up.