Talking to UHS Alumni

Pang Yuhao

Image via Unsplash

Roger Xu, Staff Writer

UHS has a long-standing reputation for producing successful graduates who go on to achieve great things in their careers and personal lives. As part of our effort to keep track of the progress of our alumni, we conducted a series of interviews with three recent graduates who have made a name for themselves in their respective fields.

Jason Chang, who graduated from UHS in 2019, is currently pursuing a degree in computer science at Georgetown University and has been recognized for his outstanding research in the field of artificial intelligence. During our interview with Chang, he spoke highly of his experiences at UHS and how they prepared him for his current academic and research pursuits. However, as UHS places great emphasis on academics, Chang realized he missed out on much of the high school experience and neglected the importance of socializing while being a high school student.

“I miss school so much and really want to travel back in time to spend more time with my friends,” Chang said. “I studied way too hard but really did not consider the other aspects of high school life.” 

Karen Park is a 2020 graduate who went on to attend UCI, where she received her bachelor’s degree in economics. After working in finance for a few years, Park joined a non-profit organization that focuses on promoting financial literacy among underprivileged youth and remains a hard-working employee of the organization. During her high school years, she was part of the varsity tennis team and accumulated hundreds of hours of community service. More importantly, she developed strong social skills as she made a lot of friends during her time at UHS.

“All of [my] past experience in community service and many other skills from my time in UHS can be applied to my current work,” Park said. “I was even surprised that it would even be of use.” 

Ryan Jiang, who graduated in 2016, excelled in both academics and extracurricular activities when he attended UHS. According to his former classmates, Jiang was a natural leader who stood out in debates and Model UN competitions. He was also a gifted musician who played in the school orchestra and performed in various concerts. Despite his successes, Jiang struggled with anxiety and often felt overwhelmed by the pressure to succeed. However, he was determined to overcome his challenges and pursue a career in law or public policy. 

“I survived many hardships in high school but never gave up, which leads to what I am here today,” Jiang said. “I was accepted to three Ivy League schools and also Stanford.”

What is striking about these three alumni is how they all credit their success to the well-rounded education they received at UHS. Whether it was through the school’s Robotics Club, music program, or Business Club, each of these graduates found opportunities to explore their interests and develop their skills. In addition to these programs, UHS is known for its emphasis on creativity, independent thinking and leadership, which have had a profound impact on the lives and careers of its graduates. These values are reflected not only in the school’s curriculum but also in its culture, where students are encouraged to take risks and think outside the box.

As we continue to track the progress of UHS alumni, it is clear that the school’s commitment to providing a well-rounded education that prepares students for success in a variety of fields is paying off. The stories of Chang, Park and Jiang are just a few examples of the many UHS alumni who are making a difference in the world.