UHS Boys’ Varsity Lacrosse vs. Beckman

Angela Dickinson-Gupta

UHS and Beckman faceoff.

Leah Schulman, Staff Writer

The UHS boys’ team suffered a loss against Beckman on March 13. 

In the first quarter of the game, Beckman was up by two goals. UHS started to come back in the second quarter, scoring three goals, but Beckman maintained its lead with a score of 6-3. 

Both teams scored two goals in the third and fourth quarters, respectively. It was a tough loss for the team, with Beckman winning 10-7.

Although the team put up a fight, many players felt that they didn’t play to their full potential. 

Senior and goalie Pax Lang noted that the team’s main struggle is consistency. He recognized the team’s capability to perform with excellence while emphasizing that the team sometimes doesn’t perform as expected. While this may be true, he was also proud of the team’s defensive players.

“The highlight of our game was our defense,” Lang said. “[The team made sure to never] allow the score to be out of reach, and I was able to save the ball 13 times out of the ten goals they scored.”

Sophomore Calvin Welsh also played a great game against Beckman. As an attacker, Welsh scored four goals along with an assist. He looks forward to the rest of the season and can’t wait for the playoffs.

“[I am excited for the rest of the season because we will] develop more as a team and build a stronger bond so we can make a run for the championship,” Welsh said.

Junior Captain Koa Saito also looks forward to improvement within the team, as well as himself. He feels that this is a special season for the team. Saito hopes to be selected again for the all-CIF team and make it to the championship. 

“With the group of players we currently have, we should . . . be one of the favorites to win CIF,” Saito said.

Boys’ lacrosse will face off against Irvine on Wednesday, April 19.