Top Five Netflix Originals

Netflix+is+one+of+the+most+used+streaming+platforms.+

Thibault Penin

Netflix is one of the most used streaming platforms.

Sophia Choi, Staff Writer

Netflix is undoubtedly the world’s largest streaming platform, hosting thousands of different types of content for audiences. With a large variety of shows, movies and documentaries to choose from, you might be wondering what to watch. Here are my top five favorite Netflix original shows: 

5. “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” 

This teen romance starts with Lara Jean, a high schooler that expresses her love for her crushes through love letters. When they are secretly sent out, Lara Jean learns how to live her own life and make mature decisions in high school. This coming-of-age movie is relatable to many high school students and I loved the romanticization of school life. The soft and comedic tone makes it enjoyable to watch in your free time. The plotline developed incredibly well and it is a good movie to watch with your significant other or friends. 

4. “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events” 

“Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events” begins with a mysterious fire that burns down the Baudelaire children’s home, leaving them orphaned and in the care of their distant relative, Count Olaf. Count Olaf wants to steal Klaus, Violet and Sunny Baudelaire’s inheritance, and the Baudelaire children work to escape their villainous uncle while uncovering the death of their parents. When I first read the book series in elementary school, I fell in love with the interesting and spooky plotline. The show gave me a sense of nostalgia, and I loved the way Netflix brings this story to life. The creators did a great job at staying true to the plotline and gloomy tone while adding eye-catching visuals. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good dark comedy or wants to reminisce on their elementary school days. 

3.  “Wednesday”

After being expelled from multiple schools for her rebellious behavior, Wednesday Addams attends a private school called Nevermore Academy for individuals with supernatural abilities. While confronting Nevermore’s convoluted history with the surrounding “normal” town and chasing clues to an ongoing mystery, she learns to open up and develops unlikely friendships with her roommate and peers. I admired how well they incorporated teenagers with real-life problems. It is a show that many high schoolers can relate to, or even enjoy watching solely for its’ amazing cinematography and plotline. If you are interested in an in-depth review, check out my previous article on “Wednesday”! 

2. “Outer Banks” 

Many students’ favorite part of the year is summer: the beach, hot weather, no school and being able to hang out with friends every day. “Outer Banks” captures the beauty of summer while also incorporating mysteries into teenagers’ lives. John B. and his group of friends work together to discover treasure hidden on the island, amidst the disappearance of his father. Since summer is something I look forward to all the time, I loved feeling the aesthetic of summer through the show, as well as how it follows the differences between pogues, the poor, the rich and kooks. This show is great to binge-watch because the cliffhangers always leave you wanting more and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good high school mystery.

1. “Stranger Things” 

Through the disappearance of Will Byers, a group of middle schoolers work to uncover the mysterious supernatural of their town. They discover secret experiments involving Eleven, a girl with supernatural abilities. Set in the ’80s, this sci-fi horror mix has a great production and plot line. The concepts are always so original in every season and I love the thrilling scenes. I truly love everything about this show and the way each episode develops. I always finish multiple episodes in one sitting and it always leaves me wanting more.