UHS Hosts Prom at Mission San Juan Capistrano

Mia Barajas-Kua, Staff Writer

On May 20, UHS juniors and seniors had the opportunity to attend this year’s prom at Mission San Juan Capistrano from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The 2023 theme was Casino Royale, with activities including a poker table in the center. Other features that are classic to UHS dances, such as the mosh pit with a DJ, a live band and a caricature artist.

“I’ve actually never heard of such a theme,” senior Laura Serra Larios said. “It sounds very interesting.” 

Tickets became available on May 1, starting at $90 without ASB. At the door, only UHS students with an ID Card were eligible to purchase tickets for $150.  

For the seniors, this year was their last chance to experience the Prom. 

“I feel really excited, especially since it’s my last high school dance,” senior Eunee Hong said. “I’m looking forward to the music and the atmosphere.” 

Students enjoyed various aspects of this event, a quintessential part of the high school experience.  

“My favorite thing . . . is the process of getting yourself ready,” Larios said. “I [couldn’t] wait to get my nails done with my friends.” 

Thrilled to be celebrating one last time with their classmates before graduation, students organized photoshoots and dinners before the dance to extend the celebration to the whole day. The senior class officially met at Bill Barber Memorial Park to take photos with friends and classmates. 

“Mainly my goal is to just have fun and live in the moment,” senior Keala Byun said. “I plan on getting ready and taking lots of pictures with my friends, and going out to eat with my boyfriend and friends.” 

Overall, many expressed their satisfaction with the event and agreed that it was a good way to end the year.